January 2, 2013

Reflect/Project: The New Year

I don't remember when it was, but in one writing class, my teacher introduced an exercise I have come to really appreciate. The casual name was "Reflect/Project." After finishing an essay, we would look back over it and reflect on what we did well and what we didn't do as well. Then we would project into the future how we would improve our writing next time.

The idea of reflect and project is not a new one, but it can be very valuable. The new year, in addition to a celebration, is traditionally a time for this kind of thinking. We ponder the past year, the events that took place, the way things changedas well as making new plans and resolutions for the future. I've taken these ideas and put them into a reflect/project format, which has helped me think over how far I've come as a person and where I'd like to go.

Reflect:
Going through adolescence, these years are full of change, but I think 2012 was especially significant. Ever since getting out of middle school, I've been fumbling my way through learning how to be a person... and that learning process made leaps and bounds this year. Relational issues gripped my spring and summer, but working through them taught me a lot, and I can say that I am much more comfortable in my own skin than ever before. Additionally, I've started some new endeavors, including teaching a novel writing class for fellow high schoolers and moving to a graphic design certificate program (a new obsession of mine). Discovering my passions and following them through is important to me, and through my insanely busy schedule, I've actually been able to do that.

Project:
Now that I have a new year, a fresh start, I want to start applying what I've learned. I want to take those new interests to the next level, deepen those relationships, explore the personality I've discovered I have. This coming semester, I'll have to spend even more time researching colleges, and that will take some tough decision-making of what I want to study, what I'd like to do with my life. I'm sure that I'll never stop being so busy thoughmy interests are already pulling me in a thousand directions. But I love it. I love being engaged with life, and that will never stop.

I had planned some more elaborate resolutions, but I've simplified them this year. Each day, I want to do two things. The first is to be good to myselfexercise to take care of my body, read good books to grow my mind, and other tasks. The second is to be good to other peopleto do a good deed, help someone out, show some kindness. Both of these things are things I need to work on, and it may be that the resolutions last beyond this year and into the rest of my life.

Are you excited for the new year? How would you reflect and project?

No comments:

Post a Comment